Friday, March 03, 2006

Entertain me boys

"I'm a cricket match person. I appreciate it. As I understand it, I may have a little chance to learn something about cricket. It's a great pastime."
The US President George Bush aims to watch some matches while visiting India

Right. I don't think this warrants any further comment. Where do I hang up my boots?

I didn't see Laxman get out today first ball but im sure, as usual, he had a bewildered expression on his face that said "huh did I just get out? didnt I just come in? Whats going on???"
If Kaif gets a ton today ( since we're wishing, Pathan too), Lax will pay the price for his lax attitude. Yuvi will come into the team and Kaif will be breathing down Laxman's neck ( Imagine that, Kaif on Laxman's shoulder..breathing down his neck..)

Very often cricketers forget that the game is about entertainment and when they do that, inevitably they don't do well. Case in point - India got 54 runs in 26 overs today. How many wickets fell? Five.
Ofcourse you may argue that because the wickets fell, the scoring rate dropped.
Tell me this, how many times have you seen a team scoring at the rate India was today and keeping wickets intact and going on to make a huge score ( I don't know about the Boycott era, im talking about now). The very proposition is absurd. You cannot making a big score without scoring. Simple as that. If India had attacked more, they might still have lost wickets but the session might have ended like this - 120 runs in 26 overs, 5 wickets. Better than what we have now, right?

No comments: